The Sr. BI Analyst position creates and manages the delivery of business intelligence solutions throughout the university. This position works with cross-functional teams and external groups to gather and document BI report and analytic requirements, collaborates with BI technical teams to design and develop BI solutions as per requirements, coordinates and executes testing, coordinates and executes training, and develops BI solution roll out plans for constituents.
1. Leads analytic and reporting requirements gathering sessions with key subject matter experts from across the university, facilitates prioritization of identified requirements and maintains responsibility for the development of all required BI business requirements documentation. Identifies detailed data sources required to support the prioritized business requirements as well as key operational and statistical metrics of operating performances, and designs value-added analysis for all customers, including KPIs and critical success factors for both services and processes.
2. Develops and maintains standardized metric reporting on a routine basis, i.e., define, create, automate, and maintain operational cyclical reporting. Maintains a reporting schedule and documentation of reporting procedures. Analyzes, interprets, and reports performance trends from various channels and departments, identifying areas performing outside of expected results and develop recommendations for problem resolution and process enhancements.
3. Plans and leads efforts to review and recommend improvements and subsequent development of reporting enhancements, including the creation of new reporting templates and analytical reports.
4. Designs and generates internal control documentation of reporting procedures to comply with governance audits and regulatory requirements.
5. Leads development of required inputs for the Agile development process forBI solutions, including coordination of communication between the BI technical teams and cross-functional development groups involved in successful design, development, and delivery of BI solutions in collaboration with key university subject matter expert users.
6. Leads the design and demonstration of key BI solutions, or prototypes, to key users within the organization to introduce them to new or enhanced BI applications and solutions in order to garner support for the proposed solution.
7. Provides direction and support to junior analysts to orient them and increase their understanding of more complex concepts. Introduces new skills and solutions to team, providing training and guidance on use of best practices, techniques, and tools that enhance the quality of the team’s work. Defines, implements, and evangelizes leading BI applications, solutions, best practices, development standards, and operational guidelines regarding the use and administration of BI solutions.
8. Prepares or assists in preparation of various reports, proposals, recommendations, and findings as necessary. Provides analysis of business problems, including data driven decision making and recommendations for courses of action based on analysis of data. Presents research findings and recommendations to management and other stakeholders as needed.
9. Researches, analyzes, and formulates recommendations for continuous improvement. Supports continuous improvement efforts and contributes to organizational process improvement, including developing use cases, architecting data solutions, documenting processes and business rules, building data/analytics tools, and supporting knowledge management.
10. Utilizes data analysis and trending, business requirements, and University policies and procedures to determine appropriate strategy for solving problems and troubleshooting, translates data into meaningful information, and applies appropriate analysis to projects and initiatives. Maintains expert knowledge of faculty and classroom operations related data, data sources, business rules and definitions, and support data and analytics needs from across the university related to these areas.
11. May build and maintain reports to support analysis for critical business processes. Functional reporting and analysis supports internal processes, manual adjustments, quality assurance, areas of compliance, audits, continuous improvement, pilots, and other projects and initiatives. Ensures timely and accurate generation of reporting, ensuring consistency and standardization amongst the various types of reports and databases.
12. Supports complex problem-solving and troubleshooting of related issues with significant policy or system implications. Maintains strong knowledge of University systems, policies, procedures, current projects/initiatives and their impacts, and helps to determine root cause and possible solutions through data, research, and collaboration.
13. Collaborates to define functional and technical requirements, and translates them into functional designs, workflows, governance documentation, proposals, and plans. Interacts with technology teams to collaborate on resolutions to technology-related needs or issues.
14. Participates in departmental and/or University task forces and councils. This includes participating in the development and implementation of processes, procedures, and programs to increase departmental and/or University operations efficiency and effectiveness, as well as ensure the delivery of quality customer service as it relates to Classroom Operations. Ensures compliance with University policies, procedures, and guidelines.
15. Performs other duties as assigned or apparent
16. May include direction of others as their functions relate to respective projects and initiatives.
• Bachelor’s degree in Education, Business, Information Systems, Communication, or a related field is required.
• 2-3 years of experience working with advanced business intelligence concepts, communicating them to users in business terms and applying them toward solutions-oriented challenges. Experience that includes both analytical thinking and applied management of analytics solutions is required.
• 2-3 years of experience writing T-SQL and/or PL/SQL required.
• 1 year of configuration/development experience with various BI platforms and data model concepts, including SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
• Excel (Intermediate to Advanced level) - Pivot tables (Advanced level), functions and formulas, etc. required
• Experience developing and analyzing reports and analytics is required.
• Experience with various project methodologies and documentation is required.
• Experience in a business analyst role or similar is required.
• General understanding and knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the business intelligence field and/or higher education industry is required.
• Crystal Reports, Python, R-script, VBA and macro creation preferred.
• Familiar with advanced concepts of relational and dimensional database operation.
• Comprehensive understanding of business processes, production systems, enterprise-wide data flows, source and target databases, and enterprise data warehouse and reporting environment and standards.
• Experience working with constituents to prioritize requirements into logical and manageable groupings for rapid in-take into the Agile development process based on development resource capacity is also preferred.
• Experience developing report/dashboard mock-ups and conceptual model creation, preferably through use of PowerBI or SSMS.
• Ability to perform work in a collaborative team environment, direct and act as a resource for less experience analysts, and relay necessary information as appropriate.
• Ability to manage multiple concurrent analytics initiatives.
• Ability to effectively gather, document, and translate requirements into business rules and supporting data models.
• Ability to train users on BI solutions.
• Ability to collaborate with other teams to standardize definitions across the university and ensure that certified data definitions are utilized throughout the requirements development lifecycle, including crafting proposed definitions to meet multiple needs.
• Strong analytical, negotiation, and research skills, along with experience working with data in a highly analytic environment.
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills to communicate regarding requirements, timelines, data, findings, and other related topic as described above. Must possess the ability to effectively communicate and present findings, analysis, and recommendations to management.
• Evidence of initiative, problem solving, and logical decision-making abilities to respond to issues and requirements, and develop coherent and effective solutions.